Monday, April 17, 2017

Club Project

     Since I have been down with shoulder surgery (rotator cuff), I have not been able to do any real, major carving. I can hold something in my hand and do light carving that does not involve the shoulder. Watching our club get involved in a small 4" Rufus style (Mike Shipley and Harold Enlow style) carving at the April carving club meeting, I was envious of the carving club members who were having a grand time being taught by Gene Fuller and Larry Crist, our resident instructors for this small project. 

     So I grabbed 2 of the blanks, and decided I would carve at home, if I could, and see what I could do. And if not, they would still be there when I was ready. These two are the ones I turned out. One is painted, and the other is not, but will be soon (post to come later). 





























































Anyway, it was not too hard to do. Not too much gripping, although I had to hold on to it so it did not slip out of my hands. How many times has that happened?

So, until I am released by the doctor, and feel comfortable, it will be a while until I am back to some serious, heavy carving, probably just in time for summer (I hope!). But for small projects of this type, I can muddle through in small measures, remembering not to pull the shoulder and not to strain too much. Boy, it's hell getting old!

Thanks for tuning in and listening! See you next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment