Friday, July 24, 2015

The Latest Carvings from the Carving Bench

     One of the problems with keeping a list (book) of ideas to carve is which ones to do after you finish one. Do I do an older idea or work on one that just came to me last week (or even last night)? I have dozens of caricature ideas to carve, from bottle stoppers to busts to full figure characters and scenes. Somewhere in there I also try to do some Christmas ornaments, any commissions that come up, giveaways, gifts and competition pieces. 
     Below are two of the three pieces I plan on sending to the Caricature Carvers of America competition in August in Converse, Indiana. I hope to do well, but I am OK if I do not place in the ribbons. I will be competing against some of the best out there such as Steve Dunham, Myron Compton, Mike Pounders, and others. I just hope to hold my own, and not be laughed out of the competition. Stay tuned.

     This first one is an idea I have had for some time. I have always been fascinated by mountain men, and decided to do a bust. I titled him "Buckskin Bill". 

  

     This next one is a series of carvings I have started based on biblical characters. I have done 4 or 5 of these guys and I think this last one is the best. I like him. I titled this one "The Coat", as Joseph was very proud of his coat of many colors.

  

     This unfortunate character is one I came up with after a rough day. I thought my guardian angel had abandoned me, at least for an hour or two. Anyway, this guy must feel the same way, what with his leg in a cast, his arm in a sling, his bandaged head and his swollen, puffy, black and blue eyes.


  

     This is a close-up of his face. You kinda feel sorry for this poor sucker. I hope he has better luck tomorrow.


   

Anyway, wish me luck. And thanks for watching. Comments are always welcome. 


No comments:

Post a Comment